(Rentiesville, OK) – May 27th will be a celebration in Rentiesville, Oklahoma of this state’s blues tradition, and indeed it is a rich one. Seven artists with strong roots in the OK state will be honored with music, trophies, Bar-B-Que and a good time at Oklahoma blues legend D.C. Minner’s time-worn juke joint as their faces are added to the 100 already on the walls of the club’s Oklahoma Blues Hall of Fame!
Those present to help celebrate the new inductees will be several Hall of Famers – Leon Rollerson, Miss Blues, Selby Minner, Wolfman Black and more.
The inductees this year include Roy Clark, Homer Johnson, Oklahoma Ollie, Frank Ray, Butch Russell, James Russell, and Tom Ware: – Roy Clark is a picker and humorist extraordinaire who started on TV’s Hee Haw and has a surprising history of playing blues! This star of great magnitude did a CD with Gatemouth Brown and more.
– Homer Johnson of Tulsa keeps the blues alive in Rentiesville, regularly helping with the 8-year-old Sunday Jam Sessions there. He has played the Tulsa area and beyond for years. Homer has had several bands and currently can be regularly seen at the OJHOF with Leon Rollerson Band.
– Oklahoma Ollie transplanted to the West coast for many years. OKO hits the festivals in LA – and Rentiesville! He has played bass with a great list of stars and switched to guitar to run is own band and never looked back!
– Frank Ray of the Tulsa area is a staple in the Wanda Watson Band, has worked with Selby Minner for a couple of years…really grew up in Flash Terry’s Band and has his own group as well.
– Henry Lee (Butch) Russell OKC He played behind many artists like Bobby Bland and Al Green and many of the Black bands in the OK area.
– James Russell OKC James, the brother of Henry Lee, is a true blues man who played and toured out of Oklahoma City and Wichita for many years.
Both Butch and James come from a family full of music out of the CKC area.
– Tom Mauchahty-Ware Kiowa, Comanche very versatile and very soulful. His long career in blues includes traveling to Europe.
Come at 7pm to eat. Cecil Gray and band will be in the house early – at 7pm- and BBQ dinner while it lasts starting at 7:30. Always one of the best nights of our year! Fingers crossed that Roy Clark will be here – that would be early as well, at 8pm. It will be a great show.
For more info go to the website on the OBHOF 2017 page
Thank you for your support!
Selby Minner and Friends of Rentiesville Blues, FB Selby Minner Band, or Selby Minner 918-855-0978. Friends of Rentiesville Blues Inc., Blues on the Move Band, D.C. Minner Rentiesville Museum, home of the Rentiesville Dusk til Dawn Blues Festival held Fri.-Sat.- Sun each Labor Day Weekend from 5 pm til 5 am; 30 bands on 3 stages. OBHOF; Mail to: 103020 D.C. Minner Street Checotah, OK 74426