The 2014 British Blues Awards culminated in the presentation at The Great British Blues Festival in Colne on Sunday 24th August. King King swept the board at this year’s awards taking the “Of The Year” awards for Male Vocals, Bass, Drums, Band and Album. They were also runners up in the Guitarist and Song Categories.
In January a panel of seventy-plus people closely associated with the British blues scene chose their favorite performers in 18 categories. The initial list included over 1300 artists. The panel then shortlisted the 6 most popular nominees in each category and asked the public to vote for their favorites. The results of the public vote were announced at the presentation and trophies awarded to the winners and certificates to the runners up.
The 2014 British Blues Award Winners are:
- Male Vocals: Alan Nimmo
- Female Vocals: Jo Harman
- Blues Band: King King
- Acoustic Act: Marcus Bonfanti
- Drums: Wayne Proctor
- Guitarist: Chantel McGregor
- Bass: Lindsay Coulson
- Keyboard: Steve Watts
- Harmonica: Paul Lamb
- Instrumentalist: Sarah Skinner
- Overseas Artist: Walter Trout
- Blues Festival: Hebden Bridge Blues Festival
- Young Artist: Laurence Jones
- Emerging Artist: King Size Slim
- Independent Blues Broadcasting: Dave Watkins
- Blues Album: Standing In The Shadows – King King
- The Kevin Thorpe Award Songwriter Of The Year: Aynsley Lister
- Blues Song: “Home” – Aynsley Lister
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Bill & Joyce Harrison, devoted blues enthusiasts often seen at many blues festivals where they are very warmly regarded by blues fans and artists from far and wide.
You can find all the nominees, finalists and runners up at the website, www.britishbluesawards.com. The British Blues Awards are run by unpaid volunteers that rely entirely on sponsors and donations to pay for the trophies and entertainment at the presentation.