(MEMPHIS, TN) – We’re just 3 weeks away from the biggest night in blues!
Join us for the 40th Blues Music Awards on Thursday, May 9, 2019 at the Memphis
Cook Convention Center! Find tickets at the website. Individual Tickets/$150 – Regular
Tables for 10/$1,500 – Premium Tables for 10/$1,800 – SOLD OUT – Blues Hall of
Fame Induction Ceremony (Wed. May 8)/$75
BMA WEEK EVENTS
Will Call – Memphis Cook
Wednesday, May 8th – Noon until 4pm – Thursday, May 9th – 10am – 9pm
WEDNESDAY MAY 8
The Blues Foundation offices and Blues Hall of Fame Museum will open at
10am. We invite you to visit the newly installed Bricks for the Blues Walkway
at your leisure.
– The Blues According to Arhoolie: 11:30am – 1pm | Blues Hall of Fame
Museum, 421 S. Main Street. This newest exhibit in the LRBC Gallery will honor
and celebrate Arhoolie Records. Founder Chris Strachwitz will be in attendance
to greet visitors and answer questions about the music he produced and promoted
through Arhoolie Records.
– Book Signing: Dick Waterman – A Life in Blues, by Tammy L. Turner
1pm – 2pm | Blues Hall of Fame Museum, 421 S. Main Street
Both Dick Waterman and Tammy L. Turner will be in attendance for a short
Q & A and to sign your personal copy of this new biography. Books will be
on sale in the Blues Hall of Fame Gift Shop.
– Blues Hall of Fame Inductions: Halloran Centre for Performing Arts and
– Big Llou’s 7th Annual Hall of Fame Tribute Jam: Benefit for Generation
8pm ’til Late | Jerry Lee Lewis’s Café & Honky Tonk. 310 Beale
THURSDAY MAY 9
– The Blues and Race, Part 2: 11:30am – 1:00pm | Sheraton Hotel, 250 N.
The Blues Foundation looks forward to continuing this important
conversation about the historical significance of race within the blues genre
and what the future holds for the next generation.
Moderated by: Noelle Trent, PhD. (Director of Interpretation,
Collections, and Education at the National Civil Rights Museum) Panel
Participants: Bobby Rush, Billy Branch, Thornetta Davis, Terrie Odabi, and Paul
– HART Fund Musician Health Screenings Noon – 2:30pm | Sheraton Hotel, 250
N. Main Street
The HART Fund, a program of The Blues Foundation, will have doctors,
nurses, and other health practitioners on site for a variety of health
screenings including but not limited to blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes,
PSA testing, and vision screenings. The HART Fund will also offer ear molds for
custom made professional quality earplugs for all musicians and/or members of
the music industry who qualify.
– Recording Academy™ Reception Celebrating the BMAs
1pm – 2:30pm | Sheraton Hotel, Heritage Room – 2nd Floor, 250 N. Main
Join the Recording Academy™ and your fellow music makers as we celebrate
with food and drinks prior to the Blues Music Awards in Memphis. Learn how you
can get involved in the GRAMMY Awards® process, from submitting your current
projects for awards consideration to voting. Click here to RSVP.
– 40th Blues Music Awards: Memphis Cook Convention Center, 255 N Main St.
5:30pm – Blues Music Awards Pre-Event Reception featuring nominee music
and the opening of the annual BMA silent auction
7pm – 40th Blues Music Awards to include seated dinner, nominee
performances, and the announcement of awards in 25 Blues categories.
* * The Blues Foundation is still collecting items for the Silent
Auction. If you have a special item you would like to donate for our Silent
Auction, please contact Elizabeth Montgomery Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org. * *
FRIDAY MAY 10
– Charter Member Breakfast: 10:30am – Noon | Majestic Grille, 145 S.
– A Conversation and Book Signing with Alligator Records Founder Bruce
1:00pm – 2:00pm | Blues Hall of Fame Museum, 421 S. Main Street
Bruce will speak about his blues career and experiences as told in his
new memoir Bitten by the Blues. Copies of the book will be on hand for purchase,
and Bruce will be available to sign them.
– BMA Fest: 4:00pm – 9:00pm | Beale Street
Beale Street Clubs will offer blues music into the evening by BMA
nominees and other blues musicians of note/ $10 Wristband
– 8th Annual Play-It-Forward Fundraiser: Benefit for the HART Fund and
5:00pm ’til Late | Hard Rock Cafe
Benefit hosted by Andy T’ Band featuring Al Hill and many BMA Nominees
and other artists.